Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents are said to be preparing to initiate a nationwide dragnet to arrest and eventually deport illegal immigrant families this Sunday, according to a report sent to police and national security forces throughout the United States.
According to anonymous homeland security officials, a confidential memorandum informs authorized readers that ICE agents are preparing to conduct intense national raids. As is usual in the past, the ICE operation will last many days, even weeks before all of their lists of suspects are captured or accounted for in a manhunt during more than 15 days.
The ICE operation is expected to include “collateral” deportations, in which agents discover illegal aliens on the scene of the capture of suspects who are not on their target list, but are illegally residing in the U.S..
The officials said that ICE and Border Patrol agents, when possible, will house families together in newly renovated detention centers in Texas and Pennsylvania, but in some cases, they will be kept in hotel rooms until their travel documents can be prepared for deportation.
The ICE raids are designed as a show of force to warn immigrant families who are thinking of crossing the southern border and entering U.S. border states such as California’s San Diego, Phoenix, Arizona, and southern Texas.
But it is unclear how successful the operation will be, as many of the thousands of illegal migrants on the list may have already moved to new addresses.
ICE agents are also not allowed to force their way into any property, meaning migrants who don’t answer the door cannot be forcibly removed even though ICE could obtain federal arrest warrants — a fact that has spread through immigrant communities seeking to protect themselves.
At the end of June, President Donald Trump cancelled an illegal alien dragnet that was targeting about 2,000 asylum-seeking families, and gave Congress a few weeks to “work out a solution to the Asylum and Loophole problems at the Southern Border.”
Trump had tweeted that the raids were about to happen, blindsiding agents and tipping migrants off about raids that were due to take place in 10 cities against migrants who had already been issued deportation orders by a federal judge.
Trump called off the operation at the last minute after talking to Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, but afterward issued an ultimatum that appeared to foreshadow next Sunday’s raids.
“Probably won’t happen, but worth a try,” Trump wrote on Twitter on June 23. “Two weeks and big Deportation begins!”
“I say they came in illegally, and we’re bringing them out legally,” the president told reporters.